Thursday, January 31, 2008

Modern Day Cinderella

Okay, I'll admit, I am an absolute sucker for fairy tales. I love them. Today in class might have been my most favorite day ever! Cinderella! She's beautiful, the original "rags to riches" story, and she is oh so humble. She is everything I want to be when I grow up. If I could pick any story to have it would be her's. Today we looked at past Cinderella's and in the spirit of that I am going to look into a few modern day Cinderella stories.

First, A Cinderella Story. Starring Hilary Duff and Chad Michael Murray. Hilary Duff's father passed away when she was young and she was left with her stepmom, Fiona. Fiona runs a diner and works Samantha to death. She is secretly text messaging an unknown person and they decided to meet in the middle of the dance floor at the Halloween Dance. It turns out the guy she is texting is the popular guy at school. They fall in love in a beautiful moment with Edwin McCain's "I'll Be" softly playing in the background!

Next, is Ever After, staring Drew Barrymore. I have not seen it, but the IMDB website says, "Ever After" is a wonderful, imaginative romance. It's a classic Cinderella tale with a simple storyline, set in 16th century France, and revolves around an independent young woman named Danielle. Although she works as a servant for her stepmother, Danielle is anything but weak and subservient. She is passionate and strong-willed, qualities that lead her to the French court, dressed as a wealthy courtier to save a man's life. There she meets Henry, the handsome Prince, who is jaded by his suffocating royal lifestyle. He is fascinated by Danielle and her thirst for life and adventure, and they fall deeply in love -- but the Baroness would do anything to keep them apart." Sounds amazing!

Finally, Enchanted. This is not necessarily a modern-day Cinderella, but it is a modern-day fairy tale. I will be honest I saw this about 2 months ago and I cried. It was AMAZING! The evil queen of the land does not want Giselle to marry her son so she sends her into the "real world" in NYC. The hilarious events that follow are so entertaining. Giselle sings a song to call all the animals, and rodents, grow birds, and cockroaches come filing into the apartment. Gisele learns that sadness brings a greater appreciation for happiness. And she learns what true love is, with a real man. It made me want to put on a pink tutu, trown on a plastic tiara and dance!

No comments: