Wednesday, January 30, 2008

My Mother She Slew Me...

As I began to dig into my reading last week, I discovered we were going to be diving into Hansel and Gretel. I remember loving this story when I was younger, so, needless to say, I was very excited. Then as I read I became very disturbed by the "Mother Slew Me, Father Ate Me" stories. I was shocked as I reread the part about respected people like Tolkien saying it's "beauty and horror". I became intrigued by these gruesome fairy tales and read up on where they come from and why they are beautiful like P.L. Travers said. I saw it as a challenge. I am going to try to write one of these stories.

There was once a man and a women who were very much in love. She had long, flowing golden curls that bounced with every skip. He was handsome, strong, and many said his eyes could see your soul. They loved each other for many, many years. They travled throughout the world sharing adventures and meeting all sorts of friends. Every person that met them was envious of thier love for eachother. He loved her more than he, himself, thought he was capable of. She respected him, and have him the courage to fight an enemy they may come in contact with.
More than anything, she wanted to have a baby. She wanted to bring a son into the world so that he could grow into the man his father was. She gave birth to her son one cool, summer day and was glowing so brightly. She loved her family, it was all she ever dreamed of.
The first winter after her son was born was the most harsh winter even seen. Her gentle body did not have the strength to hold her over. She died that winter. He was never the same again. He never seemed to be strong or courageous. He cried himself to sleep everynight. Another wife came along, but it was not the same. He didn't love her the way he loved his first true love. And he was reminded of her everytime he saw his son.
The new wife noticed this and became very envious. She grew to resent his son. She never felt like she could become the women he truly loved. For this reason, she thought if she could just get rid of the child the woman bore then he would never think of his first wife again.
One day she could not take it any longer and she killed the boy. Immediately after doing this, guilt and sin came over her. She had to figure out something to do. She cooked up with boy's insides and thinly sliced the meat so that she could put it on a sandwich. The husband's dinner was ready as soon as he got home. They ate together but no one said a word.
The evil woman felt so guilty so she gather his bones and placed them in the ivory box on the fireplace that bore his mother's ashes. As she laid down to go to bed, the house shook, but it was as if her husband couldn't feel it. She screamed but no one heard it. The ground opened up before her and she fell into a black hole.
The husband never noticed her disappearance, because everyday two beautiful doves would come to his window. One would sit gentle and quiet, while the other one sang:

My Mother She Slew,
My Father He Ate Me,
The Evil is Gone Now,
We Are a Family Somehow.

No comments: