Friday, April 04, 2008

High School

I was so excited to hear we were reading The Hobbit in this class! I had the most amazing teacher in high school, for English IV, but it also doubled as a dual credit class for college. My professors name was Dr. Holt. He was so smart and LOVED literature. One of the required books for the semester was The Hobbit, and I can not tell you fully in words, how much of a Tolkien fanctic Dr. Holt was. He knew everything about Tolkien's work. Studying the Hobbit under Dr. Holt was like having the book come alive, and many days I thought "Dr. Holt's real name must be J.R.R. Tolkien" because it was as if the author was teaching our class. The most awesome part about it was that at the end of the year, Dr. Holt let us pick any book we wanted to read. Unanimously, our class, decided on The Lord of the Rings, The Fellowship of the Rings, because we knew it would be so interesting. There is nothing liek reading a book and knowing all the underlying things the author threw in, and Dr. Holt seemed to know all of those little secrets. I will never forget this amazing experience and class.

No comments: