Friday, April 18, 2008

Depth

After writing my last blog I began to reflect on how almost all the books we have studied in Children's Literature are deep. Charlie Anderson, one of my outside readings , on the surface, looks just like a cute book about a cat named Charlie. But, as you continue to read you realize that the book eases into the issue of divorce. We see Charlie handling living at two different houses.

Each of the books we have read this year also has a deeper meaning. All the way from The Princess Goblin to Where the Wild Things Are. Coming into this class I definitely did not expect that, but I now understand why. Children at a young age are soaking up everything they are learning. Children learn at a very fast rate when they are young. Therefore, it makes sense that they would write books for them with deep meaning.

No comments: